Miami SPEC Conference 2010: Small Group 6
Sharing of values
Pre-conceived notions that we are all very different
- generations ago you make yourself feel better by listing your attributes that other people have that
- the newer generations are a little more willing to give of their time and share strengths
- but not all businesses are the root of all evil
- it's all about giving people the tools and information to make a difference while they are making money
- use SPEC to go into the different culture
- the problem we have different organizations, each organization has their own bias and strength, everyone wants to do the best work. and this is a divide because they are competing for respect and for money. we need the money to do the service, and our service is the best. and that is something until all agencies decide to focus on the real needs of the community that division will remain.
- look at the group that is of the community and don't fight each other but share duties. what is each best at doing?
- How is HSC going to change with the name?
- reinventing ourselves. will still be doing the same work, building civic engagement and leadership.
- we're not a coalition, we've helped to support them but we ourselves are not.
- to move to the same phase we wanted a name that reflects who we are which is making social change in Miami
- combination of services and advocacy and we use our experiences to inform our constituents of policies that we feel will better the community.
- if we work collaboratively with other organizations etc. Public Allies, DCF. We hold organizations accountable and act as advocates with them.
- we take a stand and look for better solutions
- What's the problem? Money and results. Movement is for evidence based programs.
Why should we grow and sustain the SPEC network? What should be our shared purpose?
To share ongoing visions and play different roles in accomplishing those goals.
Goal, to be proactive. SPEC is proactive and its part of the greater good. we spent a lot of time learning about the SPE and not as much time in the C part. How can we spend more time in the community change. That involves networking. Not losing the momentum in SPEC, perfect opportunity to working together to make the change. We also have the opportunity to mentor newer organizations. For children's trust it was a little more difficult and now is when we're hitting the C and we could take it. The contract is ending, what's going to happen?
- Suggestion: teachers who are taking methods classes should learn this theory.
- things take time, we need to share it.
- share our resources.
- to provide input, ideas, and learning space.
- collaboration, find a way to keep the momentum.
- T-teams have continued, they need to be routine, 2x a month.
- should be something entertaining, something you want to do.
- having the routine in place it was to build trust, non hierarchal. were able to freely express in these.
- is it possible in informed families? just directors, share information, not really reflective.
- Informed Families: expected it to be bigger
- have our existing networks, and continue to build our relationships
- who received the email? UM sent it out. if it would've been a requirement? then everyone would have gone
- just like non-profits, they're just grant oriented.
- how can we reach out to those that are not involved? children's trust: had a meeting with organizations, offered suggestions to nonprofits and wasn't taken well. how do you make it a requirement?
- incentives have to be there.
- the larger organizations who have a hand in the organization. how do you get other organizations MORE engaged. how do you find out what the incentive is? how do you do it. The way you do it is by understanding why they NEED to be there. Denial is something that is a part of it too.
- say it again, keep inviting them,
- reaching out to a foundation to fund this community collaboration so it can continue after this ends
- mentor-mentee organization collaborations
- each organization pay it forward to others, maybe by "adopting" others that maybe need some help in an area so they can be sustainable.